Please help,no light

Old 11-15-05, 05:42 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Please help,no light

I have a ceiling fan installed in a bedroom and only the fan is working. there is no remote control, only a regular wall switch. I replaced the switch thinking that that might be the problem. i even checked the wires in the cieling that connect to the fan and made sure that htey were secure and connected.
The light works only once in a while. I have not been able to determine at this point when or why it works.
There is a chain to control the light and one for the fan hanging from the fixture. I checked and the one for the light does nothing for sit. THe chain for the fan however works like it should.
We need to use the light in the room and now that it is getting dark early, it is getting difficult to use the room, any help is appreciated.
Is it possible that the wires in the cieling do not have enough power for the cieling fan and light?

Old 11-15-05, 08:49 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I checked and the one for the light does nothing for sit.
I don't understand this sentence.

Is it possible that the wires in the cieling do not have enough power for the cieling fan and light?
No.

Have you replaced the bulbs?

Old 11-15-05, 09:03 AM
S
I meant that I tried pulling the chain for the light and it didnt help at all.
The bulb is new and i even checked it in a lamp and it works.

Old 11-15-05, 09:25 AM
J
So when you pull the light chain, does it click and feel like it's working properly? Or does it feel mushy?

Perhaps the bulbs are not making good contact with the socket. I'd try shutting off the circuit breaker, removing the bulbs, and gently pulling up the tab in the bottom of the bulb socket a bit. Another thing to check are the wiring connections between the fan and the light kit. You have to partially remove the light kit to access these connections.

Does the operation of the lights seem to be affected by the vibration of the fan?

When you checked the connections at the ceiling, were the fan's blue (or black with a white stripe) and black wires connected to the same wire from the ceiling?

Old 11-15-05, 09:51 AM
S
When pulling the chain it feels as if it should be working, i hear the normal clicks.
i will attempt to readjust the socket and then check the wires that connect the fan to the light.
Whent he light worked the fan was on and at times it was off. but during both occasions the light went off for no reason sanad i checked that fan was working.
The blue and black are together in the cieling and thw white is to the white.
This si so annoying. i even replaced it at one time thinking that it was the actual fixture that was faulty.

Old 11-15-05, 10:40 AM
J
Also, make sure the bulbs are no higher wattage than specified for the fixture.

Old 11-21-05, 11:40 AM
S
Lightbulb

With your last suggestion there, you got it right. The bulb apearantly was too strong for the fixture. The strange part is that at times it worked and at other times it didnt. Atleast now i know to stick witht he simple 60 watt bublbs and not attempt to use the compact florecsent bulbs in everything. Thank you for your help and for saving me the elfetricians fee.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: