Fan wiring

Old 11-15-05, 11:56 PM
inrouted
Visiting Guest
Ceiling fan and odd wiring

Just like the original poster of this thread, my junction box had black, red, white and bare wires. I connected them as did our previous fellow, but my end result was quite different. My fan turns on fine when i turned the switch on. I put the lights in, no love. So, I turned the fan off, and avast! the light turned on. I turned the switch to the opposite side, the fan turns on, the light turns off..

what did I do wrong?

inrouted

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-05, 08:35 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Two questions:
  1. Does the ceiling box have just one wire of each color? Or more than one?
  2. Does the lever on the wall switch say "on" and "off" on it? Or is it blank?
I suspect that you don't have the same situation as the original poster at all.

Old 11-16-05, 09:30 AM
inrouted
Visiting Guest
Ceiling fan and odd wiring

The box has just 1 wire of each colour. The fan wiring scheme was slightly different, with black, blue, white and ground. I connected the grounds together, whites, black to black and red to blue.

inrouted

Old 11-16-05, 09:31 AM
inrouted
Visiting Guest
oh, and the switches are blank..

and in a group of two, which made me think that there is 1 switch for fan, and 1 for light, but hard to tell unless i get myself a testing kit..

Old 11-16-05, 09:39 AM
Okay, I have split off this thread as it seems to have very little in common with the thread it was appended to.

Shut off the breaker. Gently pull both switches out of the box without disconnecting any wires. Describe everything you see--all cables, all wires, all connections.

Old 11-17-05, 02:37 AM
inrouted
Visiting Guest
Appears to be the house wiring

Busted out the voltage tester, and it appears that in the "on" postion, red goes hot and black drops..in the off, red goes off and black goes hot. Hence my fan/light behaviour. I have never seen a switched wired so wierdly. It must be miswired at the switch as this is a new house install..

thanks so much for your assistance..

inrouted

Old 11-17-05, 07:21 AM
Some green electrician either installed a 3-way switch, or there are two sets of 3 wire in the box, and you assumed something you shouldn't have.

Old 11-28-05, 10:49 PM
inrouted
Visiting Guest
It was a three way switch

Which should have been obvious..but there was plaster stuck in the housing (i guess from installation) which did not give sufficient feedback for me to tell it was a 3 way. Regardless, a 3way is so useless for a fan+light combo anyway..

thanks a ton for the help,

aloha