Converting Ceiling Fan to Light

Old 11-16-05, 04:28 PM
MassGuy
Visiting Guest
Converting Ceiling Fan to Light

I'm replacing a ceiling fan with a ceiling light. The wall switch right now controls a plug receptacle.

The wall switch has 2 Black wires, 2 White wires, 1 Red wire and 2 bare copper wires.

The plug receptacle has 2 Black wires, 2 White wires, 1 Red wire and 1 bare copper wire.

The ceiling fixture has 1 Black wire, 1 White wire, and 1 bare copper wire.

What wiring changes do I need to make the wall switch control the ceiling light and make the pug receptacle always "live"?

Old 11-16-05, 05:28 PM
J
Received 472 Likes on 390 Posts
How many wries are in the ceiling fan?
Do any of them go to the switch?
We need to know where all the wires in the switch, receptacle and ceiling fan go. I think it may be safe to say the wire with the red, black white goes from switch to receptacle.

Old 11-16-05, 06:37 PM
MassGuy
Visiting Guest
Let me clarify...

There are two cables going into the switch. One with Red, Black, White and Copper. The other with Black, White and Copper. The two whites are tied together and aren't connected to the switch.

There are two cables going into the plug receptacle. One with Red, Black, White and Copper. The other with Black, White and Copper. The Black and White are connected to the top "always live" plug and the Black and Red are connected to the plug receptacle that can be switched off and on.

The ceiling fixture has one cable with Black, White and Copper. This is always live.

I hope this explains the situation better and that someone can point me in the right direction for proper wiring. Thank you.

Old 11-16-05, 06:51 PM
J
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You said that the switch controls a receptacle. So how did you control the fan? Did the switch have any effect on the fan?

Old 11-16-05, 07:10 PM
MassGuy
Visiting Guest
The fan operated only by pulling a chain. It was not connected to the wall switch at all. That is what I am trying to accomplish. Thanks.

Old 11-16-05, 07:23 PM
J
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Then we have no evidence that the wiring in the ceiling comes from the switch or from the receptacle. In fact, we don't even know if it's on the same circuit. This latter question can easily be verified by seeing if the same circuit breaker that kills the fan also kills the receptacle.

If there an accessible attic above this room, then crawl up there and follow the cable that goes to the ceiling.

Old 11-16-05, 07:45 PM
J
Received 472 Likes on 390 Posts
The Black and White are connected to the top "always live" plug and the Black and Red are connected to the plug receptacle that can be switched off and on.
The second part of this statement is confusing.
There are two gold screws on one side of the receptacle and two silver screws on the other side. These screws are joined by tabs. Tell us which wires are under which screws and which tabs are broken off. It think the gold tab will be off. Leave the grounds out of the description for now.

Also tell us how the blacks and red are connected in the switch box.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: