Low speed on ceiling fan is too fast

Old 11-17-05, 06:35 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Low speed on ceiling fan is too fast

I've recently installed a ceiling fan with a 3-speed motor. What I don't like about it though is that even the slow speed is faster than I want. I thought I might be able to hook the fan control up to a dimmer switch and get any speed I want but a lady at the hardware store said that can't be done. A dimmer will only work with the lights. Is there any way to make the fan operate slower than the slow speed setting? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-05, 07:18 AM
They do make fan speed controls. Your fan has to be compatible with them though, and the documentation for it should say whether or not you can. One of mine specifically says not to use a speed control.

Old 11-17-05, 09:29 AM
The RPM and CFM at the different speed settings is usually stated right on the outside of the box. It's different for every fan. So when you choose the fan in the first place, you can pick one that meets your tastes.

If you already have the fan installed and don't want to get a different one, then you can install (or swap) the control (either a wall control or a remote control). Different fan controls also have different RPM specifications, and can override the settings of the fan itself.

Depending on how much the fan cost, and how much you like it, you might consider just swapping the whole fan, as that's probably only about twice as expensive as swapping the control.