Putting 2 lights where there was 1 before

Old 11-20-05, 05:32 PM
quaidbrown
Visiting Guest
Putting 2 lights where there was 1 before

I'm setting up my garage to be a woodshop. I need a lot of light. I want to install 2 8' fluorescent light strips. All that I've got in there right now is a regular light bulb.

Is it possible to power those 2 strips with the wiring in place for that single bulb?

Old 11-20-05, 08:21 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes, you'll need an extension ring {4" or 3" round....?} for the existing box if its not surface mounted.Then I would run MC cable ,the same gauge as the existing wiring {MC is like BX only with an insulated ground} out of the box to each fixture.You can also use EMT conduit if you like,runnig cable is hard to keep straight especially in a long run on a ceiling.

Old 11-21-05, 11:22 PM
quaidbrown
Visiting Guest
So when I pull off the existing light, I'm going to see one set of wires. Do I just attach both MC cables to the existing wires at the same time?

I'm new to this, and am trying to learn about wiring in general. I don't want to make any misassumptions. If anyone is willing to walk me through it at a dumbed down level, I'd appreciate it.

Old 11-22-05, 06:05 PM
J
Received 474 Upvotes on 391 Posts
You might see more than one set of wires. Leave everything alone except the two wires that are connected to the existing fixture. Those are the only two wires + ground that you need to deal with.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: