a dumber dimmer question

Old 11-21-05, 07:00 PM
Dan Cheak
Visiting Guest
a dumber dimmer question

Gentlemen, due to unfortunate planning, my new screened porch has a ceiling fan AND several can lights on the same switch My wife would like me to install a dimmer for the can lights. I'm aware that a dimmer made for incandescent lights is unacceptable for ceiling fans, but is the reverse true? Will a ceiling fan control switch suffice to dim the can lights and fan/lights without problems ??? I hate that my 1st post shows such ignorance, but, while I've sucessfully wired many household items, I obviously don't fully understand the dimming process Thanks for any advice.
Dan

Old 11-27-05, 10:29 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dan,

If you obtain a commercial grade dimmer from your local supply store you should be fine. Just not the general use type and you should be fine.

Keep in mind that when you dim the recess lights you will also be dimming the fan...unless of course you turn the fan off ( via pull chain ) before you dim the recess lights.

The dimmer you buy will have on it the labeled uses......I have to ask did you run a 3 wire up to the ceiling fan.....???

Old 11-27-05, 01:15 PM
Dan Cheak
Visiting Guest
Paul,
Thanks for the reply!!!
I ran a 14gauge 2-wire plus ground to the lights and fan (originally it wasn't to be a fan installation). I ran a separate line to another location in the room intentionally for a fan. It is being operated with a remote fan/light receiver which I placed in the fan canopy. When my beloved Wife decided she wanted the second location to be a matching fan, my dillema began. I do believe this fan is at the end of the run,therefore, I might try to fish another wire to it and disconnect the can lights from the fan. The beaded barrel ceiling and brick wall(back of house) will make this difficult, but not impossible.If a heavy duty fan speed control switch will dim the can lights and fan/light successfully, I'll probably try that 1st... Worst case...goin' fishin'( wire fishin' that is!)
Thanks again for the help, Paul

Last edited by Dan Cheak; 11-29-05 at 08:14 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: