Three-Cable Light Fixture Wiring

Old 11-26-05, 08:07 AM
SteveinDover
Visiting Guest
Three-Cable Light Fixture Wiring

I recently purchased a home in Massachusetts and am placing a dining room light into an existing box. Unfortunately, the previous light had been removed so I have to figure out what wire goes where.

The light is connected to two switches. The wiring box for the fixture itself has three white and three black wires. I connected two of the black to the black light wire and two of the white to the white light wire, then connected the remaining white and black wires together. The result is a light that is constantly on and not controlled by either of the two switches.

My questions: Do I have the right concept and merely need to determine which white and black wires need to be connected together? If so, is there a method better than trial and error to figure this out? If my math is correct, there are 8 other possibilities. Each time, I have to go to the basement, turn off the breaker, come back up, change wiring, go back to basement... you get the idea.

Thanks in advance for your collective wisdom!

Old 11-26-05, 11:48 AM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You need to turn off power, and use a continuity checker (mine essentially a flashlight with an alligator clip and a probe, I also have a multimeter with a beep function) is to determine which pair opens and closes with the switch, and that would be your switch loop, so its white connects to the other two blacks, and it black connects to the light, The other whits and the white from the light connect together.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: