Switched outlet to overhead lighting

Old 11-28-05, 05:18 AM
snapshotmd
Visiting Guest
Switched outlet to overhead lighting

I'd like to install a ceiling fan w/ light in a room that has a switched outlet. I want to convert the outlet to become full time and have the switch control the ceiling fan and light. Currently, the room has no ceiling light.

How would I go about this?

Old 11-28-05, 07:23 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
This is a very common project. And, if there is an accessible attic above the room, fairly straightforward.

A few questions for you before we start:
  1. Is the switch that controls the receptacle in a single-gang box (only one switch in the box), or a multigang box (multiple switches in the same box)?
  2. Is there just one switch that controls the receptacle, or is it controlled by a pair of 3-way switches?
  3. Does the switch control both halves of the duplex receptacle, or just one half?
  4. Is there an accessible attic above this room?
  5. Have you already picked out the fan? If so, what is the brand and model?
  6. How do you want to control the new fan? (A) One wall switch for both the fan motor and light, using pull chains to differentiate. (B) One duplex wall switch in a single-gang box, with the top switch controlling the light and the bottom switch controlling the fan. (C) Two wall switches in a double-gang box, one controlling the fan and the other the light. (D) With a wall mounted fan-control switch. (E) With a hand-held remote control exclusively. (F) With a hand-held remote control, but retaining the ability to use the one wall switch for the light also.
  7. Now you need to do a bit of investigation. Shut off the circuit breaker, gently pull the switch out of the box, and tell me if there are any white or red wires connected to the switch, or if all the wires connected to the switch are black?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: