Bathroom Fan Sw, & Light Dimmer Sw. in a single box?

Old 12-02-05, 08:20 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom Fan Sw, & Light Dimmer Sw. in a single box?

Hi Pro's

I'm new here, but not new

All of us most likely have that anoying exhaust fan in the spare bathroom, sure it works well for getting the room ventilated, but it's not always desired.

Like everyone else, mine's connected to the lighting switch, and comes on at the same time as the lights.

In that bathroom, it's ocasionally desireable to burn 200+ watts lighting, then in the other 80% of the time, dimmer lighting is required.

I looked at the Home stores and can't find a single box switch that'll seperate those two functions with one switch, does this switch exist?
* It would be a dimmer and an on/off in one box.

I see dual on/off switches, I see some really expensive fan controls which I don't quite understand their full capabilities, and then there's the dimmers. Some dimmers do just that --dim, and others incorporate an on/off switch but that seems to just cut/supply power to the dimmer function.

Maybe I can use one of these switches to serve my purpose, but it's not specified on the application description on the mfg's packaging.

Has anyone solved this problem yet, with just one switch? The only other way I know of would be to install a dual box in the wall and two switches/dual wallplate, too big & ugly for that small room

Thanks --

Old 12-02-05, 07:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 105 Votes on 91 Posts
First you need to determine if how many and what color wires run from the switch to the fan/light.

If you only have a 2 conductor cable + ground you cannot separate the 2 functions without doing some re-wiring.

Old 12-02-05, 09:19 PM
S
My bad -- I neglected to mention these are two seperate units already.

The light fixture is above the sink w/ three incandesant bulbs and has three wires to the wall switch. Grn, Wht, & Blk
The fan (exhaust fan) is in the ceiling mounted in a recess, vented through the roof and has three wires to the wall switch. Grn, Wht, & Blk.

There's another set of Grn, Wht, & Blk coming into the switchbox from the breaker box. Switchbox is plastic.

So, feasibility is there. Is the single switch available? I can't seem to find one.

I did see one that says "three way fan, on/off light" -- I wonder if that can be wired backward putting the fan on the on/off and the light on the 3-way slider? Probably not since the 3-way slider dosn't feel like a rheostat -- it clicks into each of the 3-positions.

I'm stumped.

Old 12-03-05, 08:59 AM
J
Received 299 Votes on 256 Posts
You can't do it without running new cables. You have power in from breaker box and switched power out from the switch. The switched power out goes to light then fan or fan then light. It does not go to both fan and light from the switch.

Old 12-03-05, 05:55 PM
S
You can't do it without running new cables. You have power in from breaker box and switched power out from the switch. The switched power out goes to light then fan or fan then light. It does not go to both fan and light from the switch.

Wrong --

I thought I was pretty clear with my needs here. I dont have a wiring problem, I have a switch INQUIRY.

There's two SEPERATE runs to the two SEPERATE units from the wall switch. Therefore, back to my question please --

Does a single switch exist that'll dim a light fixture, and seperately on/off a fan?
Must be a single switch, for a single wide box.

I can't find one.

Thanks guys...

Old 12-03-05, 08:12 PM
J
Although such switches are common for ceiling fans, I've never heard of one for a bath fan. And I guess that the other guys haven't either, which is why they were trying to suggest alternatives. The guys that post here are trying so hard to help, they'll give you the best options they know of.

If you do find one, be sure to let us know about it.

Old 12-03-05, 08:38 PM
C
Also

I've also never heard of a light dimmer and switch combo in single box(also called single gang) config. (The closest combo in a single gang is 2 sliding dimmers. But beware you can't variably control a motor with a light dimmer, and vice-versa.)
Back to option of enlarging the box to a double gang and putting in what you want. It isn't that difficult, just tag and mark everything.

Old 12-03-05, 11:42 PM
S
Thanks very much guys --
I do appreciate all the options and suggestions posted.

There's one or two 'old school' electrical places near work, I'll stop in there too just to be sure -- If that don't work
I suppose I'll just have to go with the dual configuration as much as a dislike it.

Old 12-08-05, 11:49 AM
bob555xx
Visiting Guest
3-way fan switch and single-pole switch combination for bathroom

One switch I found is the Leviton Catalog No. 5641. You can also call Leviton's tech support at 1-800-824-3005 for other suggestions.

Old 12-08-05, 02:13 PM
S
Originally Posted by bob555xx
One switch I found is the Leviton Catalog No. 5641. You can also call Leviton's tech support at 1-800-824-3005 for other suggestions.
Thanks very much Bob,

I appreciate your direct response and pm. #5641

Old 12-15-05, 05:13 PM
S
Leviton told me "No Way dude"

Another guy, off the record, suggested I try the Leviton 6617 which can be opened up and modified so that all the fan speeds = ON

I bought one for the experiment:

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: