Need advice on old wiring

Old 12-04-05, 09:38 PM
A
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice on old wiring

Hello, my wife and I just bought our first home. Her Grandparents purchased the home in 1937, it was built in 1929. I just replaced the flourecent light fixture in the kitchen with a regular light bulb one (sorry don't know the correct term). The wiring is very old as to be expected. The wires were soldered together and covered with black cloth tape. There was no ground. I connected the wires and connected the ground from the fixture to the mounting bracket. Is this the correct installation? Anything I should be concerned about as we remodel the home? Thanks in advance.

Randy

Old 12-05-05, 07:43 AM
J
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's probably as safe as it was before, although that may or may not have been safe.

Old wiring is sometimes still good, but more often the insulation has become brittle.

If your new fixture had a warning about only installing it on 90-degree wire, you should heed this warning and not install it. More fixtures than not these days do contain that warning.

I'd suggest that you not plan changes to the electrical system until you can afford to rewire the house. Often these old systems are better left alone, or replaced completely.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: