Dim lights after new ligts fitted on circuit

Old 12-05-05, 08:38 AM
Rmachines
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Dim lights after new ligts fitted on circuit

HI, I have just replaced 4 lights on my lighting circuit with 3 (2 halogen and one normal Rose) the roses are in the loft with single wires running down to the lights, since i did it all the lights on the circuit seem Dim any ideas? ?

any help would be much appreciated

I forgot to add, They are dim even when the new ones are off

Last edited by Rmachines; 12-05-05 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Forgot to add
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-05, 09:11 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well, it's pretty certain that you wired the lights in series. So far, we don't have enough details to know exactly how you did this. So can you provide more details:
  • Did you touch the switches at all, or did you do all your work at the lights?
  • What wires were in the connection boxes at each light, how were they previously connected, and how are they connected now?
  • What did you do at the fourth light, the one that's now gone?

Old 12-05-05, 09:25 AM
Rmachines
Visiting Guest
Hi, its going from one 9wire rose to another, there was 2 recessed laps now just one bar of 4 halogens

I Had a 3 pole swtich which (2 in use for the recessed ones) and im only using the middle swtich now, I totay rewired the whole lot from the 1st light on the circuit to the 4th one of 9 and rejoined afte rthe 4th one

It goes to the rose and the rose has 1 wire comming out down to the light this is the same for all 3 of them

Hope this helps

p.s Its pretty much the same way as it was done origonaly

Old 12-05-05, 09:48 AM
Rmachines
Visiting Guest
Ok im a little worried, one of the ceiling roses are quite warm to touch theres only 2 wires in it coz its comming off the 9 wire one
i have tuned all the lights on the curcuit off

U think i should pull the fuse for safety ??
HELP

Old 12-05-05, 02:55 PM
J
Received 268 Votes on 232 Posts
You need to tell us how you wired it. Tell us things like the cable for L1 goes to L2. The cable has black, white, red wire? The black wire is connected to ? the white wires are connected to? the fixture white and black wires are connected to?
The power comes into the switch? box the light? box.

Old 12-06-05, 02:15 AM
Rmachines
Visiting Guest
Hi. i have a diagram on how its wired

http://photobucket.com/albums/c145/...ent=Lights2.jpg

sorry i should have added Im in england its Twin and earth cable (RED+BLACK)

Old 12-06-05, 04:38 PM
J
photos not viewable.

Old 12-06-05, 05:36 PM
J
The link to the diagram was improperly copied from another thread. Try this link instead.

This problem is also being discussed in a related thread.

Old 12-06-05, 08:17 PM
J
Let me see if understand that diagram.
There are three sets of separate connection points. The 3 black. The 3 reds and then the 2 reds.
1st set. It appears as if the black feed through and connect to the light.
2nd set. The reds feed through and go to the switch.
3rd set The red from switch and connect to lights. This would be your switched hot wire to the lights.
This looks correct. Problem of dim lights is most often because they are wired in series. You can test this by removing one bulb. If the other go out then they are wired in series. Might be a problem with how the fixtures are wired. There should two wires from each bulb. One to red and one black.
This is different than the style of wiring in North America but the principles are the same.

Old 12-07-05, 04:52 AM
Rmachines
Visiting Guest
Hi, I have taken bulbes out, doesent effect the other lights, The hot box was a loose wire (fixed and working) This is wired exactly the way all the other houses in the street are, i checkd out with a few of my neigbours, and the same way as it was beffor, they are all working again ok but still dim, seems like a 60 watt bulb like a 40 watt, the electritions said it could be a loose wire in the fuse board and he tighetnd them but its still the same, Im also thinking it gets dimmer the further it goes, but its just as dim if its the only light on on the circuit, Bit weird if u ask me

Sorry about the broken link i was in a bit of a rush, thanks allot for all the help i will be sure to post back if i find the problem!!!

Old 12-07-05, 11:34 AM
J
I hve no more ideas. It appears to wired correctly.

Last edited by joed; 12-09-05 at 08:24 AM.
Old 12-08-05, 08:52 PM
C
Check the screws in all the jucntion blocks and switches.