Lights flicker when water is turned on

Old 12-08-05, 01:16 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lights flicker when water is turned on

Good day!

We've been living in our home for a few years now.. and have just noticed that our lights flicker when the water is turned on. Doesn't matter if it's cold or hot water. I need to get an idea for why this is happening? Have any of you run into this problem? I'm wondering if it is a short in my furnace wiring or something.. or can it be a bigger problem like poor wiring in our house?

any help would be appreciated.

Old 12-08-05, 04:20 PM
J
Received 295 Votes on 254 Posts
You must be on a well. It could be the water pump starting up. If you are on city water I have no explanation of why running water would make the lights blink.

Old 12-09-05, 04:29 AM
J
You are correct, we are on a well.. so this is normal?

Old 12-09-05, 08:22 AM
J
It is normal for lights to blink when a motor load starts. If your lights are blinking repeatedly and quickly when the water is running your pump might be short cycling. That is it might be turning off and on quickly. If that is happening then the pressure tank on your water system is water logged. It could just need air pumped into it or could need to be replaced. It depends on the type of tank you have. Searching the plumbing forum will bring a lot of references to water logged tanks.

Old 12-09-05, 08:27 AM
J
If the flickering is slight, it's probably normal. If the flickering is severe, you may have a loose connection somewhere. If you're worried, you might consider having an electrician check the connectoins.

Old 12-09-05, 08:51 AM
J
Yes, i was wondering the same about the pressure tank. I will check that tonight.
It's very strange because it happens EVERY time the water is turned on.. flicks and then the lights return to normal, then I can turn the water off, and back on & it does it again.

Thanks for your help guys.. I may end up going the electrician route.. just for the fact that I know very little about this stuff!

Old 12-09-05, 04:29 PM
J
You might need a plumber not an electrician. Your pump should not start every time you turn the water on and off.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: