Wires are too short to add downrod ...

Old 12-09-05, 08:13 PM
toddperk
Visiting Guest
Wires are too short to add downrod ...

The wires in my existing ceiling fan are too short to add a 2 foot downrod. I'm moving the fan into a room with a higher ceiling. Can I pigtail and add new wire inside the downrod to get the desired length? Any other options?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-05, 03:26 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by toddperk
The wires in my existing ceiling fan are too short to add a 2 foot downrod. I'm moving the fan into a room with a higher ceiling. Can I pigtail and add new wire inside the downrod to get the desired length? Any other options?
My wires were long enough but if they had not been I could have cut off most of the slack in the too-short lines, and in the fan housing junction box, wirenutted appropriate color and AWG stranded to get up thru the downrod to the device box.

The fan j-box is the very crowded little box that the light fixture (or blank plate) screws onto.

Appropriate gauge would depend on what's there now and possibly downrod length, but I suspect #16 AWG stranded would be OK.

Old 12-14-05, 03:39 PM
The NEC does not allow splices of any type in a conduit run.In my interpretation of the code {and perhaps others} this would hold true for fan downrods reguardless of length.

Old 12-16-05, 05:29 PM
C
You should replace the downrod wires in the "can" at the bottom of the fan.