How to remove plastic over on kitchen flourescent lights

Old 12-10-05, 03:44 PM
1bigg
Visiting Guest
How to remove plastic over on kitchen flourescent lights

I know this is a simple question. I thought it would be a simple thing to do. One of my kitchen lights has gone out...think it is the ballast. I can't figure out how to get the plastic cover off. I don't see any hinges and I can't get it to come off by just pulling. The light fixture is not recessed and contains 2 4 ft bulbs. The plastic cover goes up over the sides, but not the ends. The ends are metal. I don't want to break the covers. House is 19 yrs old & assume these are original fixtures. Someone has cleaned them at some point because they are not overly dirty. I have lived here 5 years (guess I'm not much into cleaning). Appreciate any help. Have been trying to find instructions on the internet.

Old 12-10-05, 04:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1bigg, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
MOST, covers are held in place by friction. Press up in the center of the plastic and pull down gently on the edge. This should release the cover. basically a clip type fit. Good luck.

Old 12-10-05, 07:43 PM
1bigg
Visiting Guest
Thanks Dragon. Gave that a try. As it turns out there are little grooves on each side. I had to lift up slightly and then pull out toward me to 'unhinge' the panels. Now onward to replacing the ballast. E Gads I thought those things were 'plug n play', turns out they got wiring

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: