Wiring issue with ceiling fixture

Old 12-12-05, 08:23 AM
Karrunm1
Visiting Guest
Wiring issue with ceiling fixture

I am replacing an older hanging light fixture with a new one. When I removed the old light, there was one wire connected to the black power wire and one wire connected to the white wire. Then there was a bare copper wire attached to the ground screw. I also see a red wire(one) that was not attached to another wire, but had a cap on it. There are also other wires, that appear to be white, that are capped and tucked in the outlet box. Well, I followed the new fixture instructions and connected a wire with a black stripe to the black wires(there are 2 wires intermingled) and the same with another wire to the white wires. There is an additional grounding wire that looks like the other 2 wires, but has a green stripe on it. I screwed that to the grounding screw. Well, the light goes on, but it does not go off if I turn off the switch. What am I doing wrong? What is the red wire for? Please help.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-05, 09:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If I interpret your post correctly, you did not connect the new fixture exactly as the old fixture was connected. Put everything back the way it was originally. Then connect the new fixture exactly as the old fixture was connected. Do not change the connections of any of the other wires. This follows the algorithm that you should just leave things alone that are not clear to you. Sometimes following the fixture manufacturer's instructions may lead you astray, as the manufacturer cannot possibly anticipate all the possible conditions you may find.