Adding a ceiling fan to a room w/ no ceiling wiring

Old 12-19-05, 10:12 PM
Ndel40
Visiting Guest
Adding a ceiling fan to a room w/ no ceiling wiring

I would like to install a ceiling fan in a first floor room that does not currently have a ceiling fixture installed. There is a bedroom directly above and a basement directly below the subject room.

The only problem is the floor joists in the subject room ceiling are running the wrong way...therefore I do not have a clear path to run the new wiring to the center of the room. I would like to keep damage to the ceiling and walls to a minimum.

Can this project be completed or is it a lost cause??? If additional information is needed please let me know. Thanks.

Old 12-20-05, 10:42 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ndel40
I would like to install a ceiling fan in a first floor room that does not currently have a ceiling fixture installed. There is a bedroom directly above and a basement directly below the subject room.

The only problem is the floor joists in the subject room ceiling are running the wrong way...therefore I do not have a clear path to run the new wiring to the center of the room. I would like to keep damage to the ceiling and walls to a minimum.

Can this project be completed or is it a lost cause??? If additional information is needed please let me know. Thanks.
Is the underfloor space accessible? If so can you run underfloor between the desired switch location, perpendicular across the basement ceiling joists, then fish up thru the wall, cut in a handhole, drill thru the top plate, and then parallel a "wrong" way joist to the center of the room?

Otherwise you can use wiremold, but then you're going to have a small raceway across your ceiling.

Whatever you do, use 14/3 or better so you can control the fan and light separately from the wall switch, use a fan-rated box and hang the fan-rated box from suitable framing or a fan-rated crossmember.

A handhole can be covered with a wall plate and painted or wallpapered to match.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: