Wire new Exterior Pot Lights to existing Porch Light

Old 12-29-05, 11:05 AM
alligator4480
Visiting Guest
Question Wire new Exterior Pot Lights to existing Porch Light

Hi there,

I have just bought a new home and it's in the process of being built.

I backed out of adding exterior pot lighting option, as it was waaaay to expensive. However, I would like to hire an electrician afterwords to add them.

My Question:
Can the electrician install new exterior pot lights and wire them into the existing outdoor porch (and infront of the garage) lights.

My reason for asking, is that I orignally was going to have the builder add one exterior pot light JUST so I could get the indoor switch added. Then I would have the electrician later on "tap" into the existing wiring. However, now I'm thinking that he should be able to "tap" into the wiring for the front porch/garage light.
The end result is when you turn on the switch indoors for the porch light, it also turns on the exterior pot lights.

Sounds simple enough, just concerned if one can get access to the porch wiring....

thanks in advance for your reply.
Allen
Burlington, Ontario

Old 12-29-05, 12:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 158 Likes on 139 Posts
It will probably be less expensive and complicated to have the wiring installed while the walls are open. Installing wires into finished walls can require patching of the drywall, painting etc. Fishing can also create cold spots on exterior walls where the insulation gets disturbed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: