How big of a ceiling fan?

Old 12-29-05, 04:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How big of a ceiling fan?

I have a room that is 14x24 with sloped ceiling up to 16 feet.

The specs on ceiling fans say I should only need a 52" fan, but that seems to be a catch-all size. The fan will only hang a few feet from the ceiling - maybe 12 or 13 feet from the floor.

What size fan is appropriate for this size room?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-05, 04:50 PM
I would use 2 52" fans.My living room is about 20' X 10' with a vaulted ceiling at 12'. I have 2 52" off 6" downrods

Old 12-29-05, 05:54 PM
Im already wired (and sheetrocked and spackled) for one fan inthe center of the room...

Old 12-29-05, 07:05 PM
There are many more parameters to a ceiling fan than the span of the blades. Consider also the pitch of the blades and the speed of the blades. Each fan should be marked with its CFM (at all three speeds) on the box. Shop around and compare.

It also depends on what you want the fan to accomplish. Do you need it to create a strong breeze, or is moving the air around enough? There's a lot of leeway in determining what is "appropriate".

Old 12-30-05, 03:24 PM
they all seem to have 14 degree pitch, with very few exceptions.
Im just looking to move the air around. If, at max speed, I feel a breeze thats great. but hopefully at low speed I will move the air around. Since the ceiling is high, I may have the fan on alot in winter also totry and help push heat back down.

What CFM do I want? Can you help me based on the info provided? The stores near me arent helpful at all.

Old 12-30-05, 04:04 PM
Your requirements are fairly flexible. Probably any 3-speed fan in the store will do. When used in the winter, you'll probably be using the low setting. You may want to look for a fan with a fairly low CFM on the low setting. That way, one of the three speeds will almost certainly be good for any situation.

Since it's high up, you'll probably want one that has a remote control. You'll also want to get one that allows you to reverse the blade direction using the remote (not all do). One word of warning, however, is that fans controlled by a remote control usually are not controllable with the wall switch. If you need both, consider a remote control that mounts to the switch box. Make sure you get one that works with a 2-wire or 3-wire cable to the ceiling, depending on what cable you have in your home. The controls that work on 2-wire cables are usually more expensive.

Honestly, the biggest differences between fans is what they look like. So buy one you like the looks of. Also, since it's high up, it will be difficult to replace, so buy one of the better brands (i.e., don't buy a really cheap fan).

Old 12-30-05, 07:31 PM
What would be considered low CFM for the low speed? (and what would be fast for that matter?)

I guess a 52" would work in the size room - and the height - that Im talking about... and a 56" would be just as good. Is that correct? Im just afraid that because of the height/size I'll put up a fan and I wont feel the effects of it.

And by the way, John, youve already been a thousand times more helpful than anyone Ive gotten in the stores near me. Thanks! And Happy New Year.

Last edited by rkoudelka; 12-30-05 at 07:32 PM. Reason: add
Old 02-21-06, 01:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Getting a quality fan is more important than the size of the fan-- so long as it's 52" or bigger.

1. Why must it only be a few feet from the ceiling? On a 14' ceiling you'd want to use a downrod of at least 3'

2. In larger rooms with higher ceilings, I always recommend an industrial fan. They move more air more efficiently.

3. If an industrial fan is not acceptable you will want a fan with an American made motor and/or a K55 or XLP motor. You'll want to look at Casablanca and Emerson fans, as well as a link I am about to post below.

4. A good CFM rating for a residential fan is 8,000 cfm or more. Keep in mind different companies measure their own CFM ratings so some may be more accurate that others, some may be inflated, that's why it's especially important to get a fan with a quality motor. A good CFM rating for an industrial fan is 20,000 cfm or more. You can see why I prefer industrial fans! These are all ratings for the highest speed, you can get a control to drop to whatever lower speeds you wish.

Moderator note: Referring members to other Forum sites is not permitted.

Last edited by majakdragon; 02-21-06 at 05:12 AM.