ceiling fan on 2 3-way switches

Old 12-30-05, 09:56 PM
pwhitlock
Visiting Guest
ceiling fan on 2 3-way switches

I need help on wiring my new fan w/light kit.
I have a 14/2 wire coming into switch 1 and 14//3 from switch 1 to ceiling box and 14/3 from ceiling box to switch 2.
14/3 wires are black white red copper. fan has black white and blue.
I want my wall switches to turn the lights on the fan and the pull chain to operate the fan. Both of the switches are 3-ways. How do I need to wire the switches and the celing box to make this work?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-05, 02:51 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Assuming that at switch box #1 (SB), the 14/2 is the hot pair and with the power off, connect the black from the 14/2 too the odd colored screw on the switch. Connect the black from the 14/3 to the white from the 14/2, connect the white from the 14/3 to the screw on the same side of the switch as the black from the 14/2, connect the red to the other screw.
At SB #2 connect the black to the odd colored screw, the red to the screw on the same side and the white to the other.
At the ceiling box, connect the reds from both 14/3's together, do the same for the whites from the 14/3's. Connect the black from the 14/3 from SB #2 to both the black and blue from the ceiling fan. Connect the white from the ceiling fan to the black from the 14/3 from SB #1.

Old 12-31-05, 10:02 AM
Received 111 Votes on 101 Posts
You don't have enough wires. The must control both fan and light. You can still use the pull chains to override switches but switches must be on.
If you put the power wire into the fan first instead of the switch it will work.

Old 12-31-05, 10:05 AM
pwhitlock
Visiting Guest
still one problem

I wired it like you said and the breaker now does not trip, but when I cut the light switch off the fan cuts off to. Is there away to wire it where the fan does not cut off when the switches turns off the lights? I would like to operate the fan by the pull chain. I nornally keep my fans running year round.

Old 12-31-05, 10:15 AM
pwhitlock
Visiting Guest
Do I have any other option than to run another wire? I have seen you have talked about remote control to other people.

Old 12-31-05, 10:41 AM
If you want to use the switches then you need another wire. If you want to use only one switch(the one where power comes in) then you can do it. Then you could get a wireless threeway for the other location.

Old 12-31-05, 10:55 AM
pwhitlock
Visiting Guest
I can put power to switch 2 with no problem. Could I run the lights with switch 1 and the fan from switch 2 and then put a remote on switch 1 to operate from anywhere in the room. If so how do I need to wire it for that to work?

Old 12-31-05, 06:17 PM
Yes that sounds like it would work. The switch will need to be a special one that allows the remote to be added.

Old 12-31-05, 07:12 PM
pwhitlock
Visiting Guest
That's great! OK if the switch 2 can have a 14/2 wire coming in from power also how do I need to wire switch 1 to operate the light and switch 2 to operate the fan. Wiring from both switches to ceiling box are 14/3. Fan has black, white and blue wire.

Old 12-31-05, 07:49 PM
[/QUOTE]I want my wall switches to turn the lights on the fan and the pull chain to operate the fan. Both of the switches are 3-ways. How do I need to wire the switches and the celing box to make this work?[QUOTE]

I see, there was no punctuation so I read it as a complete statement.

joed is correct, you need another conductor.
Better yet, move the hot pair from SB #1 to the ceiling box.
Another alternative would be to install a motion sensor at SB#1 with an manuel overide and eliminate SB#2 altogether.

Old 01-01-06, 01:24 PM
To use sw2 for fan and sw1 for light and power coming to sw1 you don't need to add any wires.
Wire like this.
At SW1
power black to sw1 and black to fan.
White to white.
Red to sw1.

At fan
SW1 white to fan/light white.
SW1 Red to blue for light.
SW1 Black to sw2 black.
SW2 red to black for fan.
SW2 white capped.

At SW2
Red and black to switch.
White capped.

Connect all grounds at all boxes.

Another alternative is, If you can run a 14/3 from sw1 to sw2 then you could make it work the way you orginally intended.

Old 01-02-06, 06:13 PM
pwhitlock
Visiting Guest
Smile

Thanks for the help. I can't run another wire it is a flat roof and I have already finished out the room. I thankful for all of your advice.

Old 01-07-06, 06:13 AM
pwhitlock
Visiting Guest
switch 2 does not work

I wired it like you said but sw 2 does not work.

Old 01-07-06, 08:43 AM
Then SW2 is bad or you didn't wire it like I posted.

Old 01-07-06, 10:53 AM
pwhitlock
Visiting Guest
How Soonyb had me to wire sw2 the first way. Sw2 operated the light.
How I wired it was black wire from sw1 to sw2 to bottom screw, red wire from fan to top screw on same side, white wire capped. was this correct way? Aother question. I was looking today at remotes for the light side. The only one I found said it was for a single pole. It had the plate that goes on the wall to replace the switch with a remote it said it was a dimmer/light control. Would this work for me?

Old 01-07-06, 11:02 AM
If you are not going to try it my way then you will have to wait for Snoonyb to come back. I can't understand what he is asking you to do.

Old 01-07-06, 12:09 PM
pwhitlock
Visiting Guest
When I first put my question on this site. He told me how to wire it. It was wired where both switches would operated the light but the fan would not stay on when the switch was off. I do not have the away to run another wire so that is why I wanted sw1 to operate the light and sw2 to operate the fan. Switch 2 was working and the way I have it was first wired now sw2 do not work. That is why I question the way it is wired now to make the fan work. Joed when you told me how to wire it for sw1/light and sw2/fan I reply on how I understood you to tell me to wire sw2 to make sure I have it done right because sw2 now does not work now. I know that sw2 is not bad. Please review on how I wired it.

Old 01-07-06, 09:36 PM
Ok. There is a reason that I posted the folowing to you:
Originally Posted by Snoonyb
Another alternative would be to install a motion sensor at SB#1 with an manuel overide and eliminate SB#2 altogether.
It is because, by code, within 6' of entering a room, you are supposed to be able to energize an "illumination".

With the existing wiring you could keep the fan controled by the pull-chain and have the lights turned on by the motion sensor.

However, if you are not agreeable with doing this in a manner which satisfy's the code and offers an imerasureable convenience, here is how you can wire it to have individual, across the room, controls.

At SB1,(the one with the hot pair and one end of a 14/3), and with the power off, twist together the black from the hot pair, the red from the 14/3, and a colored pigtail, then wire nut. Twist the white from the hot pair with the white from the 14/3, then wire nut. Strip and install the pigtail to the bottom screw of a single pole switch. Strip and install the black from the 14/3 to the other screw on the switch. Assemble into the box.

At SB2 strip and connect the red from the 14/3 to the bottom screw of a single pole switch. Strip and connect the black wire from the 14/3 to the topscrew of the switch. Install a wire nut on the white from the 14/3 to "safe it off".

At the ceiling box twist together the reds from both 14/3 and wire nut. Twist together the white from the fan with the white from the SB1, 14/3 and wire nut. Install a wire nut on the white from the SB2, 14/3 to "safe it off".

The remaining blacks from both SB's are your switch legs and you are free to connect them to the colored fan/light conductors as you see fit.

Your fan and light can now be individually controlled.

Old 02-21-06, 02:04 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by pwhitlock
I can put power to switch 2 with no problem. Could I run the lights with switch 1 and the fan from switch 2 and then put a remote on switch 1 to operate from anywhere in the room. If so how do I need to wire it for that to work?
The remote kits control both the light and fan. I think the best thing to do would be to get a remote kit that uses a wall switch, and then purchase a second wall switch for it-- that way both wall switches can control both the light and fan. You would wire it in the FIRST way that was suggested.

Otherwise, you can have one switch controlling the light, and the other the fan-- or both controlling both, but not separately. Or use a wireless remote and have neither switch controlling it.

Last edited by majakdragon; 02-21-06 at 06:17 AM.