Ceiling fan installation

Old 12-31-05, 12:15 PM
N
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need Help in this area also.

The ceiling fan that I purchased has a black, white, blue, and ground wire. The wires coming from the ceiling has black, white, red, and ground. There is only on switch on the wall. I connected the black to the black, white to the white, ground to the ground, and red to the blue. The fan stays on unless I trip the breaker. The light will turn on/off with the switch. What did I do wrong.

Thanks,
Novice01

Old 12-31-05, 04:23 PM
J
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You didn't do anything wrong. That's the way it's meant to work. This was wired assuming that you'd use the fan's pull chain to turn it on and off and change the speed. If you want the fan to be controlled by the same switch as the light, then you can connect the fan's black wire to the ceiling red wire, as you did with the fan's blue wire, and then cap off the black wire from the ceiling.

You also have the option of installing a second switch at the wall, so that you'd have one switch for the fan and one for the light. Post back if you'd like to pursue this option.

Old 12-31-05, 09:15 PM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Option

Originally Posted by John Nelson
You also have the option of installing a second switch at the wall, so that you'd have one switch for the fan and one for the light. Post back if you'd like to pursue this option.
Yes as John states, and a modified option is to install dual fan/light control that will fit in your single switch box.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: