Ceiling fan pull switch

Old 01-06-06, 07:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceiling fan pull switch

I had to replace my ceiling fan pull switch , the one I bought the salesman marked Black/blue/White/gray on the 4 connecters. My fan has black/blue/white/yellow . I connected yellow to gray and the rest to the same colors and It doesn't work period. Should I change the wiring or could the switch be the wrong one as it is a generic switch not specific to the fan which is a Hampton Bay fan.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-06, 07:26 PM
There are a million different kinds of these switches. It's always better to get an exact replacement, preferably from the fan manufacturer.

Old 01-07-06, 07:29 AM
Agreed ,except the original pull switch simply fell apart inside after very limited use which makes me leery about getting a similar replacement switch which will also fall apart. The new pull switch is of a much stronger design and purchased at home depot where I bought the cheap Hampton Bay ceiling fan ( home Depot Brand ) so maybe I can rewire the new switch ? I do not mind trying different combinations. Suggestions

Old 01-08-06, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by John Nelson
There are a million different kinds of these switches. It's always better to get an exact replacement, preferably from the fan manufacturer.
Agreed ,except the original pull switch simply fell apart inside after very limited use which makes me leery about getting a similar replacement switch which will also fall apart. The new pull switch is of a much stronger design and purchased at home depot where I bought the cheap Hampton Bay ceiling fan ( home Depot Brand ) so maybe I can rewire the new switch ? I do not mind trying different combinations. Suggestions

Old 01-08-06, 02:26 PM
I don't consider any of those pull-chain switches reliable enough for long-term everyday usage. If you use this often, I suggest wall switches or a remote for control. If you would rather use the pull chain, using it gently rather than yanking on it will extend its life greatly. Nevertheless, buy a couple of spares. It will fail again some day.

Old 01-08-06, 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by John Nelson
I don't consider any of those pull-chain switches reliable enough for long-term everyday usage. If you use this often, I suggest wall switches or a remote for control. If you would rather use the pull chain, using it gently rather than yanking on it will extend its life greatly. Nevertheless, buy a couple of spares. It will fail again some day.
I rarely use it and to put in a wall switch or remote in a finished cathedral ceiling attic would be way too difficult and time consuming. The new pull switch is certainly much more solid than the original so I'd still like some thoughts as to what other combinations might work. If it is any help the white fan wire goes to the fan reverse switch, the black goes up to the fan motor and the yellow and blue go to the same box side by side. Just let me know if the possibilities are too numerous to mention and I'll just get the cheap replacement switch from the manufacturer, thanks for your advice it is great to be able to ask someone who knows.

Old 01-08-06, 08:39 PM
I have no idea how to make this switch work. You're on your own there. But when and if you get it figured out, tell us the answer so we'll all know.

Old 02-21-06, 01:55 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Many fans are different. The colors dont matter. The important thing is to note the positions on the switch. Most switches are marked L-1-2-3. When you remove the old switch, make note of what color wire was connected to L, and connect it to L on the new switch. Same with 1, 2, and 3. The majority of 4 wire switches are the same but there are a few exceptions, so if this doesnt work, we'll have to delve (is that the word?) deeper.

Last edited by majakdragon; 02-21-06 at 06:18 AM.