ceiling fan stuck in one mode

Old 01-07-06, 11:12 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ceiling fan stuck in one mode

I have a ceiling fan in my bedroom that is not quite two years old. It has a remote control that allows me to change the lighting from dim to bright and also 3 speed modes for the fan (low med hi).

Out of the blue one day it got stuck on low speed with the light on. My remote control will not change the speed or light intensity, despite the fact that the display on the remote itself indicates that it should be changing. It's not the battery because I tried changing it and that didn't work.

The only thing I can do is use the wall switch to turn the whole thing off. When I turn it back on, it's in the same setting it was when I turned it off.

Could this be a problem with the wiring inside the remote control or is it something faulty with the fan itself?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-06, 01:25 PM
B
Without further information such as the manufacturer and the model/serial number of the fan it is hard to know the specifics of how it works. I do know that from my experience as a HVAC tech that variable speed motors will sometimes go bad and only run in one speed. But if the control board in the fan that the remote is signaling to is bad, then it will only control the fan in whatever speed it went bad in no matter what you tell it witht he remote. Best advice I could give you is contact the manufacturer with the model of the fan and ask them about it. If you're lucky it may be a part they will cover under a warranty or from a recall.

Old 02-21-06, 02:13 AM
C
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Since it's stuck in that one position it sounds like a problem with the receiver. You can try changing frequencies on the remote and receiver to see if it responds, but otherwise you may need to replace it.

Last edited by majakdragon; 02-21-06 at 06:14 AM.
Old 02-25-06, 10:04 PM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Have you tried new batteries in the remote?