New light fixture, blown circuit breaker - help!

Old 01-10-06, 06:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question New light fixture, blown circuit breaker - help!

I just installed a new vanity light in a bathroom. Connected, capped, and grounded everything properly. Put in the 3 bulbs and left the light on while I did other work. About 45 minutes later I hear the "pop" of a blown bulb and the light won't turn on. Check the circuit breaker and it has tripped. I reset and light comes back on, but one of the bulbs is burned out. 30 minutes later and no further issues (but I haven't replaced the bulb).

Question: Is there anything else that could have caused the circuit breaker to trip BESIDES the new light? If it is the new light what do I need to check/fix/change to prevent this from happening again?

Thank you for any help you can provide!

JG

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-06, 07:01 PM
Received 96 Votes on 88 Posts
A llight bulb popping can sometimes short internally enough to trip a breaker.

Old 01-10-06, 07:59 PM
I agree. Probably just a fluke. I wouldn't worry about it unless it starts happening regularly.

Old 01-12-06, 05:26 PM
Thumbs up Thanks, and more

I've left the light on a lot just to see what happens. The other 2 bulbs (but not the replaced one that blew the other day) blew out today but did not cause a trip. In looking at the bulbs (which came included with the fixture) my friend seems to think that it was just a bad batch of bulbs (cheap) and that this is the main cause of the issue. I just wanted to post that in case anyone else might be reading this later and would find it useful.

Thanks to those who posted for putting me on the right track to figuring out what went wrong!

JG