hanging chandelier from cement ceiling

Old 01-10-06, 10:38 PM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hanging chandelier from cement ceiling

I just joined the forum and it will not let me search, so forgive me at this point if the answer is in the archive. I live in an apartment, and want to hang a chandelier over our dining room table. Problem is that it is a cement ceiling. All I really need is a hook in the ceiling. I can swag the wire in a decorative sheath or chain to the corner of the room where i can then tack in behind a bookshelf, put a roll switch in line and fit a plug to the wire. I have been told that I can get some sort of bolt that will screw into the cement and expand to hold the weight. The light wont be very large...but I want it to be secure. Any ideas on how to get this cement ceiling to work with me. The ceiling is the type that you would find popcorned in apartment buildings. Thanks all.

Old 01-11-06, 10:54 AM
R
Do you know a few other things...

How thick is the cement?
What is behind it?
How much space is behind it?

Old 01-11-06, 02:44 PM
J
its a cement ceiling that separates my floor from the floor above (12 story bldg) I would imagine the slabs are VERY thick.

Old 01-11-06, 07:54 PM
B
most ceilings of your type are hollow core...they have a 3 or 4 inch hollow tube about 3 inches apart in the cement..but i would think tapcon screws into this ceiling would hold....even in the hollow spots you are likely going into 1 inch concrete

Old 01-11-06, 08:38 PM
J
yes, i think i was told it has those hollow tubes running through it. so i need to get tapcon screws? home depot?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: