Closet lighting necessary?

Old 01-11-06, 07:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Closet lighting necessary?

Hi all,

I am redoing the bedrooms of my house and the closets have those naked bulb fixtures with the pull chains. The closets have bifold doors. When I open them, there is plenty of light. Therefore, I was just going to remove them, cap the wires, and then put a white plate over the box.

However, should I go the extra mile and put in switch-controlled fluorescents or something? I wasn't sure if everyone expects lights in their closets...

Thanks.

Last edited by Gizzorge; 01-12-06 at 03:18 AM.
Old 01-11-06, 08:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 158 Likes on 139 Posts
You really should read the pertinent Code sections before deciding on new fixture types. There are quite stringent requirements for clearances from the shelf areas and the types of fixtures allowed.

By the way, your current fixtures would not be allowed.

Old 01-11-06, 09:03 PM
J
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A typical closet with bifold doors is only two feet deep. Such closets rarely have lights. And has already been mentioned, naked bulb fixures in any closet violates code. Furthermore, in a small closet such as this almost any light would violate code. Just about the only lights that would be allowed would be a fluorescent fixture mounted on the wall above the door.

You really don't want a fire in your closet.

Your plan to cap the wires and put a cover plate over the box is a good one. These wires must remain covered, and must remain permanently accessible. So don't be tempted to cover them permanently.

Old 01-12-06, 03:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: