Light Wiring

Old 01-14-06, 09:45 AM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Light Wiring

I need some help with a connection. At the box in the ceiling right now I have 2 black, 2 white and a red coming in. The white from the right side is connected to the black from the left side as are the white from the left connected to the black from the right. I find this odd but there is no light fixture there yet. The electrical box is grounded and the red wire is not connected to anything. If I undo either of the connections I loose a light fixture in another closet. If I connect the black and white from one side to the fixture I have a light but no switch and then if I try to connect the black and white remaining to each other I trip the circuit. When I connect a white and red I get a switched light but only at about 15% voltage it appears and the other closet light doesn't work! Sounds confusing but until I understand better what I'm trying to do I am waiting for help?

So...2 black, 2 white, a ground and a red. black and whites are connected to each other from opposite sides of the wireds entering the box, red is not connected and 2nd closet light needs blacks and whites to remain connected.
Can someone hekp?
Mike

Old 01-14-06, 05:59 PM
J
Received 463 Likes on 383 Posts
Is the light fixture in the closet controlled by a switch somewhere?

Old 01-14-06, 06:07 PM
J
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you know anything about the history of this wiring? Is the house old or new? Does it look like there has ever been a fixture here? Does the house have what appears to be a lot of DIY work? If so, has the workmanship in general been good or bad?

I find the wiring odd too.

Tell us the wiring and connections at the switch.

Old 01-15-06, 03:38 PM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
light switch

There is a switch next to the closet. Appears there may have been a light there before, there is a box and the red wire was cut and not capped so I assume there once was. The one set of black and white appear to be a junction for the 2ns light in the adjoining closet and the other two and red I was thinking were for the closet but as i said if i hook the white to white from fixture and black to red it works but at reduces voltage and tghen the left over black in the box doesn't want to be part of anythign without sparks and othetr closet light quits too. i am confused. House is only 12 years old and well built as far as it seems. No other issues with wiring , any switches, lights etc I've replaced changed etc were straightforward.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: