Need help wiring 240 volt mercury vapor yard light

Old 01-17-06, 01:44 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need help wiring 240 volt mercury vapor yard light

I have two outdoor yard lights that are mercury vapor and are 240 volts. I have spent hours researching the lights on the Internet and have not had any sucess. I have wired 120 volt mercury vapor lights and there is no problem because the wiring is obvious. Another question, can I use standard number 12 wire for wiring or do I need high temp wire?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-17-06, 03:44 PM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
240 volt just hooks the white to the other breaker of a 240 double pole breaker instead of the neutral bus. Most of the rest is the same as 120. The only difference is using a double pole switch is recommended. you switch both black and white wires with one switch.

Old 01-17-06, 05:14 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks Joed. I was concerned because I have not seen too many devices that have the white wire used as a hot leg. The way I have it figured is a neutral wire goes to one leg attached to the bulb. One leg of the 240 goes to the photocell as a white wire and the other leg of the 240 goes to the black wire going to the photo cell and a red wire is the switched wire that is switched by the photo cell goes to the line side of the ballast and the black wire leaving the ballast goes to the other leg of the bulb. So my final conclusion is that the only thing in the light that is 240 volts is the photocell. Does this make sense? If correct, I should be able to replace the photocell with a 120 volt photocell and all I need is a 120 volt supply.
Farwell

Old 01-17-06, 06:09 PM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
Now you have added a phot cell. I have not hooked up 240 light with a phot cell. you need to follow the directions on the photo cell. It could require 120 volts. If it does you need to use 14/3 wire and bring a neutral.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: