Antique Lamp Switch Replacement

Old 01-19-06, 06:03 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Antique Lamp Switch Replacement

I've been enlisted to fix my grandmother's lamp after my grandfather blew 3 house fuses trying to do it... LOL Rather than blow all mine, I figured I'd ask for some help. The lamp has two sockets with two brown wires coming from each one. The cord splits in two upon entry to the lamp base. The switch (rotary? if that's the proper term - it's basically a small turn knob) has three wires, one blue, one red, and one black. The switch positions previously would turn on one socket, the other socket, both sockets, and off. Can anyone tell me how the wires should be connected?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-06, 11:27 AM
Connect the ribbed wires from the sockets tot he ribbed wire from the cord. That is the neutral, and should not connect to anything else.

Connect the othe line cord wire to black on the switdh, the other switch wires to each socket.

This is assuming all the wiring is in good shape. If it isn't, I'd look into replacing it first.

Old 01-22-06, 05:48 PM
The wires are all in good shape... At first I couldn't see the ribbing, but I eventually figured it out. Lamp fixed - Grama loves me! Thanks!

Last edited by StaticVoyager; 01-22-06 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Nevermind, it worked... LOL