Convert to Pull Chain Switch?

Old 01-20-06, 10:18 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Convert to Pull Chain Switch?

I had a pendant light over my kitchen sink that used a pull chain (no wall switch). The old pull chain broke & the cord from the ceiling was weak so I assumed a new light was necessary. I realized after it was too late that I could have just replaced the pull switch. Now I am trying to locate a replacement pendant light that uses a pull switch with little luck.

Can I convert a light assembly that is normally hardwired with a wall switch to a pull chain assembly? Also, the house is 80 y/o w/ no grounding wires - do I need to worry about the green ground wire that comes w/ newer lights? Thanks.

Old 01-21-06, 12:17 PM
C
You might be able to retrofit a canopy pullchain switch into a new fixture. Generally, you don't need to bother with the grounds, if you don't have them.

Old 01-22-06, 01:15 PM
J
The original assembly (that I removed and threw away) had the pullchain switch wires connected to the fixture wires. Sounds like I should be able to retrofit a new fixture and just add a hole to the ceiling plate to accomodate the pullchain. Thanks and I will update this thread if successful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: