Help!2 white/2 black wires-2 clear on fixture

Old 01-21-06, 08:54 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help!2 white/2 black wires-2 clear on fixture

I am attempting to put in a new light fixture. There are 2 black wires (one is "hot" and 2 white wires. I am able to hook up the fixture and when I test it there is power to socket, but it does not light up. It also appears that there is no power to the off/on switch. Any suggestions would be appricated. thanks.

Old 01-21-06, 09:51 PM
J
There are 2 black wires (one is "hot" and 2 white wires
Are you describing the wires from the fixture, or from the electrical box where you are mounting the fixture?

Any chance you remember how the old fixture was connected?

Old 01-21-06, 10:08 PM
S
The white conductor, which originates with the black conductor that is "hot" comprise the "hot pair."
The other black and white conductors comprise the "switch leg."
At the fixture box, Twist together and wirenut the black from the hot pair to the same colored conductor that is connected to the bottom of the switch.
Twist and wirenut the same colored conductor that is connected to the top of the switch to the conductor from the fixture that is connected to base,(center pin), of the lamp socket. Twist and wirenut together the other conductor from the light fixture to the white conductor from the hot pair.

Old 01-21-06, 10:31 PM
J
If Snoonyb is correct in that you have a switch loop (two black/white pairs coming from the electrical box), then here is the correct code-compliant switch loop wiring:
  • Black from the power cable to white from the switch cable.
  • White from the power cable to the ribbed wire on the fixture.
  • Black from the switch cable to the smooth wire on the fixture.
The connections have nothing to do with the top and bottom of the switch. The top and bottom of the switch are functionally and code-wise identical.

Any kind of circuit tester can help you determine which cable is the power cable. Don't guess.

Old 01-22-06, 10:01 AM
N
Thanks I have now managed to get everything working again, except the fact that appears to be a problem with my brand new light fixture-no matter what I do it doesn't light up. (the wires from the light fixture are clear and identical-no ridges, no flat-the light store said it didn't matter how they connected-I have tried both ways). I put the old fixture up so I know it should work. I guess I will return to the store. AAAHHHH!!!!!! Thanks for your help

Old 01-22-06, 04:26 PM
N
Thanks everyone,
There was a problem with the fixture, it has been replaced and we have light.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: