HELP--My Ceiling Fan Light Keeps turning off by itself!!

Old 01-26-06, 06:03 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
HELP--My Ceiling Fan Light Keeps turning off by itself!!

I have a Casablanca ceiling fan----If you turn the light on with the switch it goes on, but turns off by itself in a few minutes, and it will not turn back on. If you wait about 10 minutes, then you can turn the light on and start the whole process again. It was a very expensive fan, but I am SICK OF THIS!!!
I keep thinking maybe it's overheating for some reason and just shutting off---but I really have no idea. If anyone knows why this is happening or knows of a way to stop it.

Please help me!!!

Old 01-26-06, 06:35 PM
R
Sounds like a loose connection in the light wiring...

Is the unit new? Does the fan work ok? Does the switch control both the light and the fan? Is there a remote control involved? Do you know if the light kit came prewired to the fan? Who installed the fan?

Old 01-27-06, 03:45 AM
M
If it is a one bulb unit, try changing the bulb, and make sure it is screwed in all the way. It could also be the "tab" at the bottom of the socket. Make sure (with the power off), that it is not too far compressed. You may need to pull it up slightly.

Also, when the light turns off, unscrew the bulb, and check the voltage between the bottom tab and the side of the socket. It should be around 115 VAC. If you have voltage, the problem is most likely one of the things I mentioned. If there is not voltage, you have a problem with the fixture itself.

At times, the heat from the bulb can make what is a good connewction when cold, "open" when it is hot.

I hope this helps

Old 02-21-06, 12:20 AM
C
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Ok, what model fan is it, and what type of switch are you using? Most Casablanca fans have some form of computerized control in them, either a wall control that sends signals through your house wiring, or a radio frequency remote control. You often cant hook up a Casablanca fan to a regular wall switch. My guess is you have an Inteli-Touch fan that is hooked to a regular wall switch, in which case you have to buy an Inteli-Touch switch, or a different fan.

MEMBER BANNED FOR ADVERTISING

Last edited by majakdragon; 02-21-06 at 06:41 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: