outlet wiring ceiling fan

Old 01-27-06, 07:49 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
outlet wiring ceiling fan

I want to install a ceiling fan in my bedroom where there is no existing overhead lighting, the brace and box for the fan is already in place. Now I need help figuring out how to wire the fan to an outlet, that the upper 1/2 is controlled by a switch. The outlet has 2 white wires, 2 black wires, 1 red wire and a ground connected to it. The outlet is powered by a 15 amp breaker. How can I accomplish this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-06, 05:19 PM
Run a 14/3 from the fan to the outlet, or better yet the switch. Match up the red, white, black, and ground. Do the same in the ceiling fan (except you are likely to find blue or black/white instead of red coming from the fan).

Old 01-27-06, 05:23 PM
The switch is not an option, there is a 2x4 over top of it inside the wall. Thank you classicsat for the info.

Old 01-27-06, 06:38 PM
Run 14/3 from the ceiling to the receptacle box if you want the fan's motor to be always on (and controlled only by the pull chain) and the fan's light to be controlled by the switch.

Run 14/2 from the ceiling to the receptacle box if you want the switch to control both the fan's motor and the fan's light, or if the fan has a remote control.

Post back with which control option you desire, and we can provide more specific details.

Old 01-27-06, 07:12 PM
I want to run the 14/3 so the fan is always on and the light controlled by the switch. Thanks for your help. James

Old 01-27-06, 07:26 PM
You didn't say, but just for the sake of discussion, let's say that the top half of the receptacle is the half that is switched. You also didn't say, but let me assume that the red wire is on the top half of the brass-screw side of the receptacle.

Furthermore, let me assume that the two black wires are on the brass-screw side of the bottom half of the receptacle, probably one of them in a backstab hole and one wrapped around the screw.

Furthermore, it is almost certainly true that the tab on the brass-screw side is broken off, while the tab on the silver-screw side (where the two white wires are attached) is still intact. Compare the two sides of the receptacle to see what I mean.

And finally, let me assume that this circuit is protected by a 15-amp breaker.

As you can see, I made a heck of a lot of assumptions. I hope they are at least close to true.

So if my assumptions are true, do this:
  1. Run 14/3 from the ceiling to the receptacle.
  2. Remove the two black wires from the receptacle.
  3. Connect all three black wires (the two old ones and the new one from the 14/3) with a wire nut to a black pigtail (a short section of black wire).
  4. Connect the other end of the black pigtail to the bottom brass screw.
  5. Remove the red wire from the receptacle.
  6. Connect the two red wires (one new and one old) with a wire nut to a red pigtail.
  7. Connect the other end of the red pigtail to the top brass screw.
  8. Remove both white wires from the receptacle.
  9. Connect all three white wires (two old and one new) with a wire nut to a white pigtail.
  10. Connect the other end of the white pigtail to either one of the silver screws.
  11. Connect the new grounding wire in with the existing two grounding wires. Hopefully, there is already a wire nut there that you can just add to.
  12. At the ceiling, connect black to black, white to white, ground to ground, and red to blue (or black with a blue stripe depending on the brand of fan).

Old 01-27-06, 08:17 PM
John, Thanks again for the info, and yes all of your assumptions are correct. I'll run the wirein a day or so and let you know how it turned out. Thanks, James