Recessed Lighting Can location - Kitchen

Old 01-31-06, 11:41 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Recessed Lighting Can location - Kitchen

I'm installing 6" retro-fit recessed lighting fixtures in my 16 x 27 kitchen. I'm comfortable doing the work, but need some help on the best locations.

Is there a good resource for help with the following questions:

1. What is a good spacing for the cans in a kitchen with 10' ceilings?
2. I'll be installing task lighting on the counters, but I want to minimize the shadows from the recessed lights. How far back from the counter edge should the ceiling recessed lighting be to minimize shadows?
3. I'm installing pendent lights over a center island. Should I also install can lights?

Thanks!

Old 02-01-06, 04:25 PM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I recently remodeled my kitchen and installed recessed lighting to replace an outdated (and ugly) center flouorescent fixture. My kitchen is 12X16 with a peninsula separating it from a dining room.
I installed six 60 watt (6") recessed cans spaced evenly over the kitchen floor. The manufacturer of the cans specifies a certain s/f per can depending on the ceiling height. These lights are floods. This circuit is on a 3 way dimmer.
I also installed seven, 50 watt (5") recessed cans along the countertops as task lighting. These lights are spots. The cans are centered at the edge of the countertop. They are not on a dimmer. I located the cans relative to the countertop by trial and error. We found that this location gave the best light with minimum shadows. We have granite countertops and we found that lights directly over the countertop gave too much glare.
My peninsula is 10' long with a glass cooktop and downdraft in the center. I installed two pendants over the cooktop and two additional 5" cans at each end of the peninsula. The pendants are switched independant of the cans.
We ended up installing two recessed lights over the sink although our original plans called for one. One 5" can was inadequate.
We are very pleased with the lighting. We ended up using almost double the number of recessed lights than our original plans called for. We were fortunate in that our ceiling was opened to the joists and I just moved and added lights as necessary to give us the effect we wanted.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: