Wiring Help PLEASE!!!

Old 01-31-06, 08:20 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wiring Help PLEASE!!!

I am remodeling my condo and I have installed a fixture (ceiling fan) in the ceiling where none existed before. I have a light switch that operates a receptacle and the power source goes directly into that receptacle. I would like to:

1. Convert the receptacle so it stays hot constantly
2. Wire the existing light switch to supply power to the ceiling fan

How should this be wired? Thanks in advance for your assistance

Tre'

Old 01-31-06, 08:28 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
This should be possible.

Please provide details as to how the receptacle box is currently wired. How many cables come into the box, what are the colors of wires in each cable, and what is connected to what? Also, are both halves of the receptacle switched, or only one half?

Does your new fan have a light too? What are the colors of the wires from the fan?

Old 02-01-06, 12:57 PM
T
Receptacle box currently has one line (black, white, ground) into the box. As of now, neither receptacle is switched since I removed the wires from the toggle switch. The fan has a light. Wires are black, white, and blue/green.

I need to use the power source from the receptacle to feed to the ceiling fan, but operated (ceiling fan) by the toggle switch.

Old 02-01-06, 03:28 PM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
If the receptacle only has one cable with black, white and ground then you must run the new fan cable from the light switch if you want the receptacle to be unswitched.

Old 02-03-06, 08:40 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
the power source goes directly into that receptacle
Receptacle box currently has one line (black, white, ground) into the box.
These two statements are contradictory.

Old 02-03-06, 10:23 PM
T
Thanks for the assistance. I completed the project tonight. I ended up running a 3 wire line (luckily, walls still open) and all is working as desired.

Old 02-03-06, 10:54 PM
Tre',

Based on the information you have provided, the electric cable runs into the switch and then to the wall outlet.

Like Joed said, you will need to run a new cable from the switch up to the fan (12-3 or 14-3 Romex should be fine). Once you do that, you will have three cables running into the switch box.

Cable 1 runs from the electric panel to the switch box.
Cable 2 runs from the switch box to the outlet.
Cable 3 is the new cable that runs from the switch box to the fan.

Here is how to connect the wires inside the switch box to make it all work:

Connect all the white (neutral) wires from cable 1, cable 2, and cable 3 together. Twist the wires together in a clockwise direction and cap with a wire nut.

Connect all the bare (ground) wires from cable 1, cable 2, and cable 3 together. Take a small length of bare wire to make a "pigtail", which you will connect in with the other bare wires. Twist all four wires together in a clockwise direction and cap with a wire nut. Connect the bare "pigtail" wire to the ground post on the switch.

Connect the black (hot) wires from cable 1 and cable 2 together. Take a small length of black insulated wire to make a "pigtail", which you will connect in with the black wires from cable 1 and cable 2. Twist all three wires together in a clockwise direction and cap with a wire nut. Connect the black insulated "pigtail" to the lower pole on the switch. Connect the black (hot) wire from cable 3 to the upper pole on the switch.

At the fan, connect the wires as follows:

Cable Wire Fan wire
Black -------------> Black
White -------------> White
Bare --------------> Green/blue

Best wishes.

Rick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: