Bathroom fan/light wiring

Old 02-01-06, 11:06 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom fan/light wiring

Hi. This is my first post!

My old bathroom fan bit the dust after 40 years of service. I have a wall switch that powered it so I have the wiring ready for the new one. I bought a fan with a light in it so there's an extra set of wires (blue and white) in addition to the fan wires (black and white) resulting in a plug for the motor and a plug for the light. I'd like to use the original wall switch and wiring to power the fan and it's light at the same time as opposed to buying a new switch where they operate independently. So what I'm assuming is that I'll gang up the 2 white wires and the white power source wire and gang up the blue and black wires with the black power source wire so when I flip the switch they'll come on at the same time. Oh and I'll attach the power source's ground wire to the green screw in the fan's metal box. Does this sound right? The instructions were a schematic that was a little confusing Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-06, 01:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 40 Votes on 35 Posts
You are correct with your plan.

Old 02-02-06, 07:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks. I hooked it up quick and tested it out - everything worked. Now to install it permanently. Time to crawl around in the attic