Waterproof light for Shower Stall

Old 02-01-06, 01:24 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Waterproof light for Shower Stall

Trying to locate a waterproof light for my shower stall. The plan is to place a recessed (or a very low profile) light in a tiled ceiling. The ceiling which has yet to be installed is only about 7' high - so it will get splashed/wet. I would prefer to put in 1-2 small lights (4" diameter possibly). I cannot put a light outside the shower and aim it (drainpipes/heat pipes for the upstairs are in the way).
Where to buy? Who makes them?
The walls are open as well. Should I install low voltage spa/underwater lights in the walls instead? Or would they be ineffective in this situation.
Thank you in advance.

Old 02-01-06, 10:20 PM
C
Check this out:

http://www.lighting-fixtures-ceiling.../more_info.asp

Set a pair in the ceiling and you'll be good-to-go.

I'd avoid setting light fixtures in the wall. They would be the very devil to try and seal and once water got behind them you would have rot city.

Old 02-02-06, 10:45 AM
S
Thanks for the link. Checking on the housings - http://www.lighting-fixtures-ceiling.../more_info.asp
They are UL listed for "damp" locations. I read somewhere that there is a different "wet" location option - Is that difference in the trim or in the housing? Question 2 - Is there any advantage to a Low Voltage housing over a Line Voltage housing?
Question 3 - The ceiling is only 7'. Is there anything in the code book regarding the height of a ceiling light? (eg. the shower head will only be about 12" from the ceiling, 20" from the light trim)
Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: