Ceiling light not working

Old 02-05-06, 10:26 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceiling light not working

My light bulb in my 1974 house doesnt work right after i turn on the switch. It just lights quickly making a pop sound with sparks and takes the circuit breaker down so I have to turn the breaker back on and make sure I dont turn on that light fixture. It doesn ruin the bulb and I have tried several different bulbs. I assume I have to put in a new ceiling fixture because the copper part in the cieling looks worn out.

Please advise the steps I need to do to repair this?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-06, 01:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It sounds like you have a pretty dangerous situation. My guess is that you have a direct short in your ceiling fixture and it needs to be fixed before your house burns down. The popping sounds you are hearing are quite likely arcs and sparks inside the fixture or its ceiling box.
If you are knowlegeable with home wiring you can probably fix this yourelf. If not, it might be better to have a pro replace your 30 year old fixture.
If you decide to attempt the repair yourself, be aware that turning off the switch doesn't insure that the power is off to the fixture. You must turn it off with the ckt breaker.