Bathroom Light, Heat Lamp, and Exhaust Fan

Old 02-08-06, 09:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom Light, Heat Lamp, and Exhaust Fan

I have two switches in my bathroom - on one side by side faceplate. One of the switches controls a light. The second switch controls a heat lamp as well as an exhaust fan. The heat lamp and exhaust fan are not a compound unit, rather they are separate units. I wanted to wire the heat lamp and fan separately, so I purchased a double switch that indicated it was for this purpose. When I took off the face plate to see how the switches were wired, this is what I found: Two main lines were coming into the box - the first, a three wire (black, red, white) + ground. The second is a two wire (black and white) + ground. The two white wires were capped together, the black from the two-wire was connected to a brass screw on the switch that controls the fan and heat lamp. A black piece of wire was then used to go from the COMMON screw on the switch that controls the heat lamp and fan to a cap that connected the black wire from the 3-wire. A second black piece of wire then went from this capped wire conglomerate to the COMMON on the switch that controlled the light. The red line from the 3-wire was then connected to a brass screw on the switch that controlled the light. - Did you get all that? So, I am not able to figure out how to separate the fan and heater. I can - however - wire just the light switch by connecting the black from the three wire to the COMMON on the existing light switch and connecting the red to a brass screw on this switch. If I just leave everything else disconnected, my light works - but, of course, nothing else. Does anyone know what I have going on here?

I would sincerely appreciate any help!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-06, 08:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 40 Votes on 35 Posts
If I am understanding you correctly, unless you have access to run another wire from the switch to the fan or heat you will not be able to have seperate control of the unit.

Basically the hot power comes into the switches on the black of the 2 wire cable. The red from the 3 wire is the switched hot to the light, the black of the 3 wire cable is the switched hot going to the heat or fan. There is a wire running from the heat to the fan that continues that part of the circuit.

Clear as mud? Post back and will see if I can make it more understandable.

Old 02-09-06, 05:53 PM
Thank you for your response. I do not think I was completely clear on my previous message. I currently have ONLY the light switch connected. The black wire of the 3-wire is connected to the common screw on the light switch and the red wire of the 3-wire is connected to another brass screw. The black andd white wires from the 2-wire are NOT connected to anything at the moment...

I thought perhaps that the 2-wire was supplying the power, but that can't be given what I described, correct? It is a mystery! Thank you again for your continued help.

Old 02-09-06, 05:55 PM
In the interest of being completely thorough...the ground from the 2-wire is actually connected to the 3-wire ground which, in turn, is then connected to the light switch...

Old 02-16-06, 09:59 AM
Unhappy Still need help!

Still needing help....anyone have any thoughts?