Light on circuit dim... help please.

Old 02-15-06, 02:45 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Light on circuit dim... help please.

I recently built a 4th bedroom in my basement for my oldest son. I ran the lights for the bedroom (and closet) by tapping into the current circuit for all of the lights in the basement. I have 2 in my washroom, 2 in the storage room, 2 workshop style lights in the "playroom" (2 bulbs apiece) and then new ones I added (one in the closet and 2 in the room). I tapped into the hot from one of the lights in the storage room and ran in to a box for the bedroom itself. My new circuit(s) are basically the following :

For the room:
From the hot -> switch -> light # 1 -> light # 2 -> back to the hot

For the closet:
From the hot -> switch -> closet light -> back to the hot

My problem is that all of the prior lights it the basement work as normal, the closet light works as normal, but the room seems to be drawing to much and causing light # 2 to drasticaly dim. Am I drawing to much on the circuit overall? If this is the case if I turned off all of the lights in the basement except for his room wouldn't the two lights in the bedroom work fine? I can have all the lights on in the basement or turn them all off and only use the ones in his room but have the same problem. Suggestions??!!

Thanks.

- Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-06, 08:44 AM
J
I'm not sure what "back to hot" means, but it sounds like you wired the lights in series rather than parallel. We don't normally think of running any thing "back" to the power feed.

To allow us to detect your error, you are going to need to be more precise. Tell us exactly what kind of cable you ran, what color wires are in it, and how you made all the connections in each box.

If you don't already have some, I suggest you pick up a few books on home wiring. It appears that perhaps you don't understand the principles.

Old 02-16-06, 10:27 AM
S
Error....

Actually I do have 2 books on the subject and have had wired succesfully on numerous occasions. My problem on this particular project was that I was taping into an established circuit and coming off of it with a new one. My text did not adequately cover what I needed to do. I was under the impression that if I did not return the newly created loop back to the point of origin that I would "kill" everything downstream from there. After reading your message it made my mistake clear and I have since pulled some new wire and started to rerun my lines. I will repost when I am done (if it works or not ). Thanks.

- Skulhead2a