Recessed light problem

Old 02-17-06, 02:28 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Recessed light problem

I'm in the process of completing a basement renovation and I'm a very novice electrician. I'm having a problem with two halo recessed lights on separate circuits. After having been on for a while the lights have both turned off at different times. When I turn off the switch and turn it back on they have both come back on. Unfortunately the ceiling is now finished and I have no easy access to the wiring. Please help.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-06, 03:13 AM
Welcome.

After having been on for a while the lights have both turned off at different times.
What wattage are the bulbs?

Old 02-17-06, 05:34 AM
R
This is most likely a heat issue. Make sure that the bulbs are within the maximum specified wattage for the lights.

Also make sure that you don;t have insulation packed tightly around the lights. In fact, make sure that if the lights aren't rated for insulation contact that you have no insulation at all around the lights.

Of course you have access to the wiring. Recessed lights are designed such that you have full access to the junction box even after the ceiling is finished. You may not be able to get at the wires themselves

Old 02-17-06, 07:22 AM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Hi Bielner - Halo recessed lights have a thermal cutout located behind the bulb socket plate. If your bulb wattage is too high they will overheat and temporarily open the circuit. They may also be overheating if the cans are rated non IC and you insulated around them.
remove the bulb and look at the chart on the inside of the can. This will tell you what wattage and style bulb the can is rated for.
If these are 5" or 6" new construction cans the junction box is accessible through the can if you wish to check for a loose wire. Just remove the baffle trim, the bulb, and the bulb mounting plate. Access is pretty good for 6" not so good for 5"

Old 02-17-06, 08:53 AM
B
Originally Posted by Beilner
I'm in the process of completing a basement renovation and I'm a very novice electrician. I'm having a problem with two halo recessed lights on separate circuits. After having been on for a while the lights have both turned off at different times. When I turn off the switch and turn it back on they have both come back on. Unfortunately the ceiling is now finished and I have no easy access to the wiring. Please help.

Thanks
Thank you so much for the help. The lights are 5" and they say they're designed for up to 75Watt bulbs which is what I'm using. They are new construction variety with no insulation anywhere around the light whatsoever.

Old 02-17-06, 09:46 AM
J
As an experiment, try putting in 40-watt bulbs.

In addition to verifying that you have the correct wattage bulbs, also make sure you have the correct type bulbs.

Old 02-18-06, 01:49 PM
M
Also note that the allowed wattage/bulb type will also depend on the type of trim you are using. There is usually a table with wattage/bulb type vs. trim on the installation instructions...