Gfci Problem

Old 02-20-06, 04:39 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Gfci Problem

Hi, Help! I Was Setting Up My Workshop In The Garage Of Our New House And Hung 2 Fluorescent Shop Lights From Lowes. Very Simple Stuff, But The Gfci Outlet Shut Me Off Everytime I Tried To Plug Them In. It Ran My Drill, And Saw, But Not The Lights. I Went To The Other Side Of The Garage And That Gfci Ran The Fluorescent Lights Just Fine. I Took The Fixture To Several Other Gfci Outlets Inside The House, No Problem. I Then Tested The Outlet That Was Shutting Me Off, And It's Fine. Any Ideas? I'm Planning On Running 2 Compressors Off That Side Of The Garage And Some Powertools And At 61 My Eyes Need All The Help They Can Get. Thanks - John 45

Old 02-20-06, 05:12 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cheap fluorescents sometimes have leaky ballasts. These can trip a GFCI occasionally. Old GFCIs can also get fooled by fluorescents. But I have had a very cheap fluorescent shop light in my garage for the last ten years, and it's never tripped the GFCI it's on.

I'd replace the GFCI, especially if it is over a few years old. Newer GFCIs are less vulnerable to false trips. It that doesn't work, I'd replace the shop light.

Old 02-20-06, 05:30 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Talking Gfci

Thanks John, That's What I Was Thinking, Replace The Gfci, It's About 8 Years Old. That's Pretty Straight Forward And I Should Be Able To Do It Easily Enough. I'll Let You Know. - John 45

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: