Outlets in tile backsplash

Old 02-27-06, 05:42 PM
tadtv1
Visiting Guest
Outlets in tile backsplash

HI, I would like to know how far to hold my outlets off the studs for a stone backsplash. I'm using 5/8" dryall. How thick does the motar and tile end up being? Thanks

Old 02-27-06, 06:12 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You don't say how thick the stone is, or what type boxes you are referring to. However, you can use adjustable depth boxes if you want to tweak the distance after the stone is in. Otherwise the box front edge, by code, can only be 1/4" max. away from the stone surface.

Old 02-27-06, 06:18 PM
tadtv1
Visiting Guest
outlets in backsplash

I'm using metal boxes. My question is how much should I allow for the motar and stone tile? What have you found to be the most common thickness of those two items?

Old 02-27-06, 06:25 PM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Typical tile is 1/4" but don't quote me. Get the tile and measure. Is it tile or stone? Stone comes in several thicknesses. So you need the 5/8" for the drywall plus the thickness of your tile. Also you can't neccessarily mount any metal box (5/8" plus 1/4" distance) away from the studs. It depends on the box mounting style. (Also the mortar thicknesses matters not-- it is so small)

Old 02-27-06, 07:33 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Getting the tile and measuring is the best way. Add 1/8" for the mortar (or ask your tile-setter how much to allow). I suggest you get the boxes that are adjustable (i.e., you can turn a screw and move the box forward or backward after the tile is in place). When in doubt, setting the box a bit deep is better than setting it a bit proud. But remember that your box cannot end up more than 1/8" behind the finished surface.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: