Ceiling Fan Wiring Diagrams, and Failure Modes

Old 03-01-06, 08:01 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceiling Fan Wiring Diagrams, and Failure Modes

Two questions...

Can anyone tell me where to get copies of internal wiring diagrams for Craftmade ceiling fans?

How often do motor windings fail?

I am stuck repairing a friend's ceiling fan (mechanical controls, no electronics, no wall-mounted dimmers). The chain pulled completely out of the three-speed pull switch. My friend says all three speeds worked before the switch broke, but I have my doubts.

I replaced the switch. I am confident the new switch is the correct replacement, it works properly, and my wiring is correct. But the fan does not run. In three positions of the switch, the fan makes no noise and does not spin at all. In the fourth position, the fan hums and turns extremely slowly. The hum gets louder as I help spin the fan faster by hand.

I assume the switch is in the high-speed position when the fan is spinning slowly. In this position, the speed control capacitors are fully bypassed. This only leaves the motor windings as suspects in this case. So how often do motors fail in practice?

Also there are about 6-8 small-gauge wires leading from the reversing switch up to the motor, which I have not encountered before. Therefore, I would like to find wiring diagrams to debug further.

Thanks for any suggestions.
-Andy

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-06, 10:49 AM
C
Old 03-02-06, 05:41 PM
C
Thanks Classicsat., very helpful. I get the idea.

Do you know if an analog dc ohmmeter can verify continuity in the windings of these types of motors?

Thanks,
Andy

Old 03-06-06, 06:17 PM
C
Usually yes.