ceiling fan with 2 separate switches

Old 03-07-06, 11:31 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Red face ceiling fan with 2 separate switches

I am replacing an older ceiling fan with newer one. I disconnected the old one but failed to note how the wires were connected. The fan was connected to 2 different light switches on opposite sides of the room; both light and fan were controlled by either switch and NOT a separate "fan" or "light" switch. The ceiling has 2 "cables?" each of those has a red, black, and a white wire for a total of 6 wires . I remember the 2 red wires were together and the 2 black wires were together but do not know about the white ones or what each of those sets should connect to on the fan. I have search every to find something similar but with no luck. Can you help me?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-06, 03:48 PM
J
Received 237 Votes on 208 Posts
If the two black are together and the two reds are together then you only have the two whites left. This not really code but it should work. Connect one of the white to the white from the fan. Connect the other white to the black and blue wires from the fan. If one of the white has a black tape on it, use that one for the black/blue connection.