ceramic light fixture as a pass through?

Old 03-08-06, 12:31 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ceramic light fixture as a pass through?

I had a circuit dedicated to one ceramic light fixture (with the pull string) in my basement. I added two outlet/receptacle boxes beyond that. Everything is grounded and works properly. Was it proper to use the ceramic light fixture as a pass through? Or should I have done something different. It just seemed as though it would have been easier to wire if the ceramic light fixture had more than the one set of terminals (i.e, like receptacles do).

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-06, 03:24 PM
J
Received 236 Votes on 207 Posts
If you have a box under the fixture, if you have only one wire under each screw then you are fine.

Old 03-09-06, 06:45 AM
T
I do have a box under the ceramic fixture, but there are two wires under each screw. There is the original wire coming from the breaker box and a wire leading to the receptacle box I installed beyond the ceramic fixture. How else would I pass it throught he ceramic fixture? Unless the ceramic fixture is at the end of the circuit, wouldn't there have to be two wires under each screw or splices with wire nuts (which would make an even more crowded box). Its never simple, is it?

Old 03-09-06, 07:16 AM
J
Pigtails, short sections of wire, and wire nuts are the appropriate way to bypass the fixture without putting two wires under one screw. Simply use a wire nut to connect the incoming wire to the outgoing wire and to the pigtail. Then connect the other end of the pigtail to the fixture. Do this separately for the hot, neutral, and (if the fixture has a grounding connection) grounding wires.

Old 03-09-06, 07:48 AM
T
JOED and John...thanks for the advice. I will make the correction to my wiring.