Ceiling light wires mixed up

Old 03-12-06, 06:16 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Ceiling light wires mixed up

I have a red/white/black wire coming from the breaker box to the ceiling box. From the ceiling box I also have a red/white/black wire going to the wall switch. The black and red are on the bottom of the switch and the white is on the top. How do I connect them together at the ceiling box and then connect a ceiling fan. I don't mind having power to both when the switch is on and use chains to turn either on/off. By the way the white is the hot comming from the breaker box. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-06, 06:37 PM
J
Received 237 Votes on 208 Posts
You have another switch to control this light. The black/red/white comes from that other switch not the panel box. Open both switch boxes and tell us which wire is attached to the common screw. The common screw will be labeled common or be black in color.

Old 03-12-06, 06:48 PM
G
You're exactly right!! I traced the wire over the kitchen and it is hooked into the 3-switches at the side door. My goof, but now what do I do?

Old 03-12-06, 07:01 PM
G
The wire in the living room switch does not have labels nor screws. They used the holes in the back. The white is on top and the red and black are on bottom. The other switch in the kitchen is a three switch side by side. The one for this light is the last one on the left. There is no black screw or common marking that I see. on the left top is the red and left bottom is black. The white wire goes into a cluster of white wires behind the switches. Onthe right bottom are two wires together that appear to be jumpers to the other switches.

Old 03-13-06, 10:30 AM
G
[problem Solved, Thanks

problem Fixed. Thanks For All The Help!!