changing ceiling fan w/ light to regular light

Old 03-13-06, 10:01 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
changing ceiling fan w/ light to regular light

I am trying to switch a ceiling fan with a light to a regular light. There are 3 black wires, a red wire, 2 white wires, and a ground in the box. There is 1 wall switch. I can get the light to turn on and off with the pull string but the switch does nothing. Iwired the 3 black together wire the fixture black and the switch does nothing. But the light works with the pull string. Then I wired the 3 black and the red with the fixture black and the light works with the pull string but the wall switch does nothing. How can I get the switch to control the light and not the pull string? Please help. Thank you. You can also reply to my home e-mail [email protected]

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-06, 07:16 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can you tell us exactly how the fan was connected? Nevermind. I don't really need to know, but I want to emphasize that this information is often critically important.

Do this:
  1. Connect all the black wires in the box (but not the fixture black wire) to each other, but not to the fixture.
  2. Connect all the white wires in the box to each other, and to the fixture white wire.
  3. Connect the fixture black wire to the ceiling red wire.
  4. Connect all grounding wires.