Madding Problem w/ Hampton Bay Track Light

Old 03-18-06, 06:20 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Madding Problem w/ Hampton Bay Track Light

I installed a "dimensions" model Hampton Bay track light system. This is a low voltage halogen style unit w/ (3) 50W pendants and electronic style dimmer made for low voltage systems.

Things will run fine for weeks, then 1 bulb will blow. After replacing the bulb, that pendant will run for about 1 more hour and go out again. The new bulb will still be fine, so it must be something in the pendant transformer that is gone. If I replace the entire pendant, everything works fine again for a while, then the whole vicious cycle repeats itself (about 5 times so far . . .)

Home Depot is clueless - this is my last ditch attempt to resovle before I yank the whole set and replace with something else.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-06, 10:16 AM
Sounds to me like the transformers they use are not up to the task.

I'd replace the whole thing and demand a refund.

Old 03-18-06, 07:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is it the same pendant each time? Have you relocated the suspect pendant with another one, to eliminate a bad peice of track? is it single track or is there a coupling?

Old 03-19-06, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by lectriclee
Is it the same pendant each time? Have you relocated the suspect pendant with another one, to eliminate a bad peice of track? is it single track or is there a coupling?
Not always the same pendant - sometimes the right, left or center. And a single track. It's track ligthing for gods sake! http://forum.doityourself.com/images...s/confused.gif

http://forum.doityourself.com/images/smilies/wall.gif
I am not returning these again for any warrenty - I've given up. So I opened the last failed unit for an internal inspection. There is a 1/2 amp fuse that is blow. I bet it was the same issue with the others.

I'm shopping for a new system next week. And I think I'll have a profession do the job http://forum.doityourself.com/images/smilies/coffee.gif

Old 03-19-06, 07:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
WE FEEL YOUR Frustration (imagine if a pro installed it).I assume that they came with the 50-w lamp, MR16? It could be the wrong wattage lamp.
Also, ( I may take some heat here) Home depot , lowes and the like, Get alot of "seconds" and not so perfect stuff ,thats how they keep the numbers down. Some will tell you it is thru quantity, NOT true. Try a LIGHTING store and see what they have to say.