Malibu outdoor lighting

Old 03-18-06, 05:50 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Malibu outdoor lighting

I have a question about installing Malibu deck lights. Can anyone tell me the reason the first light must be a minimum of 10' from the transformer? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-06, 07:22 PM
C
Originally Posted by coastview
I have a question about installing Malibu deck lights. Can anyone tell me the reason the first light must be a minimum of 10' from the transformer? Thanks in advance.
Those systems rely on voltage drop provided by the wire to keep the lamps from blowing out prematurely. If you want a light right next to the transformer, just coil up 10 feet of wire before you connect the light and you'll be fine.

Old 04-02-06, 10:06 AM
C
Back with another Malibu question: Is it ever acceptable to place the transformer inside a garage instead of the recommended outside location? Thanks again......

Old 04-02-06, 10:24 AM
C
Originally Posted by coastview
Back with another Malibu question: Is it ever acceptable to place the transformer inside a garage instead of the recommended outside location? Thanks again......
The manufacturer says not to.

Here's a link to their list of FAQ's - lots of stuff there I didn't know:

http://www.intermatic.com/?action=cat&cid=21#d1

Old 04-02-06, 11:01 AM
C
Saw that as well. I'm wondering if the "outside use only" is because the transformer has only been "approved" for outside use and not gone through the proper testing for inside, as opposed to being unsafe. The area I'm working with is a second floor deck that is fenced and above the back half of a garage. I can plug the transformer into a receptacle up high in the garage(already there) and run the low voltage wire through the wall under the deck. Connect to the Malibu deck lights from there. Much easier than routing new wiring, trying to hide the outside receptacle and transformer, etc. Safety first though. Thanks again......