Changing over to Fluorescents

Old 03-22-06, 04:11 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Changing over to Fluorescents

Hello,
I would like to replace my three way bulbs in my table lamps with fluorescents. So will the three position switch interfere with the fluorescent? How will it respond?
I was looking at daylight bulbs and was wondering how others like them. I have always use soft warm bulbs in my fixtures but warm bulbs do not seem to reveal the fine stainwork I did when I put in a new oak stairway. The stairway looks terrific when light from the sun enters the living room.

Last edited by rjordan392; 03-22-06 at 04:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-06, 04:29 PM
J
Received 236 Votes on 207 Posts
Unless you use a three way CFL(I don't know if they make them) the lamp will work fine. The switch will need two turns for each on/off. It should work off-off-on-on.

Old 03-22-06, 04:31 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I have seen three way compact fluorescents, otherwise the bulb will come on in the second and third positions on the switch. Nothing man made can reproduce sunlight and its effects, but bulb manufacturers claim to have come close with "full spectrum" bulbs. Was never willing to pay the price for these myself.

Old 03-22-06, 05:58 PM
R
Thanks to Mitch and Joed
I'll give the daylight bulbs a try. Actually there is another reason why I want to switch and its because of the heat I feel from a 50-75-100 watt bulb when sitting near the lamp fixture even during the cooling season. The lower wattage of the fluorescent should help some.

Old 03-23-06, 06:06 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
You'll definitley notice a difference in heat output.

Old 03-24-06, 06:29 AM
W
wgc
maybe no more 3-way CFL

My local big box store used to carry 3-way CFL bulbs for this purpose but no longer does. One of the employees said they were too expensive compared to standard bulbs. I imagine they still exist but you may have to go hunting and you may have to pay more.

Yes, you can use any standard bulb, including CFL, in a 3-way socket. Instead of off-lo-med-hi, you will have off-off-on-on.